Meralgia Paresthetica Physiotherapy
Meralgia Paresthetica is also called as Bernhardt-Roth syndrome.
It is a neurological condition that causes numbness, tingling, and sometimes pain in the outer aspect of the thigh, but often not so serious. The lateral femoral cutaneous branch of the femoral nerve compressed in the inguinal ligament is the most probable cause of the symptom.
Pain is usually located on the lateral side of the thigh.
Causes of Meralgia Paresthetica
• Age between 30-60 years.
• Tight clothing.
• Hip surgery.
• Standing/walking for longer periods/running/biking etc.
• Surgery/trauma to hip/ back.
• Tingling sensation,
• Partial loss of sensation,
• Aching in Groin area,
• Outer thigh is frequently sensitive to touch light than to firm pressure.
• Muscles aren’t affected.
• Lateral femoral cutaneous nerve is compressed/trapped/pinched.
• From lower spine to the pelvis under the inguinal ligament
• If it is pinched/squeezed then it causes pain, loss of sensation, other, etc.
• X-ray/MRI for images of hip/pelvis
• NCV for damaged nerves
• Nerve blockade
• Anesthetic is injected 30-40 min of duration
• Loose clothing
• Losing weight
• Aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen
• Deep tissue massage
• Exercises for the groin area
• Increase flexibility and strengthening of the hip.
• Pelvis/low back mobility, stabilization, and relaxation exercises
• Corticosteroid injection
• Tricyclic antidepressant
• Gabapentin, pregabalin
• Nerve decompression surgery
• By wearing loose-fitting clothing or by losing weight we can reduce pain.
• Pregnant women can get relief after giving birth to their babies.
• Medications are recommended in severe cases.
MERALGIA PARESTHETICA PHYSIOTHERAPY MANAGEMENT:
• CAT Exercises
• MAT Exercises
• Spine stabilizers
• Lumbar extension exercises
• Abdominal exercises
• Quadriceps stretch
• Bridging exercises
• Strengthening thigh, Quadriceps, Hamstrings, Gluteal muscles, etc
• Soft tissue release techniques
For more information or booking an Appointment Call us at 8800299652, or visit our clinic at Dwarka, Sector 6, Delhi between 9 Am to 9 Pm, Monday to Saturday.